Sunday, September 10, 2006

Rawlins - Dick Country

Greetings, dedicated vicarians!!

What a nice treat to get so many comments, and new entries from dear friends, it really made our day! I'm in much better spirits today anyway, so let's get at it.

Today was a much better day - we got on the road after a leisurely morning and headed right into Wyoming - Dick Cheney Country. I have to say, this state is beautiful, and I can imagine buying a ranch, somewhere southwest of Casper, it's that pretty here. We actually spent a bit of time talking about looking into it, if you haven't been here, it is worth the drive someday.
I can't imagine how Cheney ended up the way he did, the views are beautiful, the people are incredibly friendly (no one tried to shoot either of us) and the atmosphere is laid back.

We started at the fuel stop, so skip green print if you are faint of heart:
239 miles
30.271 gallons
$90.78
2.999/gallon (new high)
7.89 mpg - and we were relieved... pathetic

A great bump in the road, the kind you would only know because we have DOTs that need to spend a lot of money, was the town of
Lost Spring, WY - Population 1 Elevation 5022 feet.
As Marge pointed out, you need more than 1 person to hang the sign, damn it!

Onward, after seeing about 6 billboards for Lou Taubert's 9 Floors of Western Wear, we found out that downtown Casper was actually part of our route. We took the chance that they would be open Sunday and were right. This place was great, been around since 1919, and if we understood correctly, I believe it was Lou the Grandson who helped us - super nice guy, never once tried to shoot me, or sell me a $5000 ashtray.
He also didn't bat an eye when I asked for a Nudie suit - Nudie Cohn http://www.nudiesrodeotailor.com. I'm totally inspired by Nudie, and his work, I've given y'all some photos to enjoy.
You might have noticed, I'm wearing a Nudie inspired shirt for our Rushmore tour - this guy really is the inventor of the Western Star look. Unfortunately, they didn't have any - he was sad, too; but they had some great shirts and I got a nice pair of boots from their remarkable 100,000 pairs in stock. Laugh if you will, but I also bought a used lariat - orange of course - I plan on learning to lasso the dogs.




That's Nudie in one of his Custom Cars, and to the left is Porter Wagoner's Suit - I remember that from TV when I was a kid; that and his terrifying cotton-candy pompadour... but I digress.
Roadkill:
Skunk - multi
Deer - multi

Live:
Wild Turkeys
Pronghorn
Herds and herds and many single deer - a veritable Deer Day Afternoon.
We crossed, re-crossed and then crossed-back over the Continental Divide today - I had "Railroading on the Great Divide" by the Carter Family Fold ripping through my head, but I spared Marge and the girls the agony.

Tamm-e and Rand-e and the lil' bastards; we toast you back, wish we were Racing with the Devil with y'all... Get your Winnie on the road and meet us in Iowa!

Track(s) that worked for me today: Sidi Salaam by Shofik Kabaha & Za'av Nickmai and I've Got a Cat by The Method from Hotel Costes quatre
Moment that worked for me today: looking out the window, watching the basin and range unfold...

Harve




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what will I do tomorrow....when I have already caught the daily report tonight....it is still a young night here on the e coast...you must have stopped early....I am proud of you for buying a pair of boot....goes with the heritage...really enjoying this whole trip....keep the new coming.

Anonymous said...

mollly was home for 24 hours to pick up a few more things...where she puts them is a serious question..she had a computer melt down but is on the repair list for morning so she will catch up with you

Anonymous said...

ah...nudie...
don't know if i ever told you about my dad's years spent as a stand up bassist in a country(hillbilly) swing band. radio shows & a stint with bob hope during the 40s. i've got a weakness for old country style, although i draw the line at cotton candy pompadours.

Dark Elk said...

Thanks for the Pic of Leech Lake. A good moment for me to remember home this evening in Illinois.

tamm-e said...

oh dang it! wyoming huh? i just remember that sumbitch ex-husband o' mine, ronn-e, always whinin' about wantin' to move to wyoming.....why??? BECAUSE NOBODY ELSE LIVES THERE! brings back memories of playin' that presidential election game, LANDSLIDE, where wyoming only has 3 pathetic electoral votes!!! and no worries! hopefully, y'all will wanna repeat road trip next summer...i already have rand-e, little tiffani, and bubba on the bandwagon....luv!!!