Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Marge's Collections

Today, more plaster animals than live ones: a bison, an elk, babe the blue ox (with Paul B) and a bear. Did see one measly squirrel or chipmunk barely make it across the road and a few hours after finally getting the hell outa Michigan, a few token dairy cows. Scattering of ponies, whatever. I was really happy to stand in the surf of Lake Superior, which means I've hit water on all 4 U.S. coasts, and, of course, I picked up a stone from the beach there.

What is it about collecting anyway? Harve and I are big on it, as you can prolly tell, and some of you can testify to our plethora of Cirque du Soleil VIP tags, Fluevog and New Rock kicks, dental tools, scissors, coins, metal junk, those rocks from places we've been...and "places" in general. Is it a need? An indulgence? An ego trip?

Driving down the road today I was thinking--around my 7th hour--that the perspective of the road meeting the horizon clearly shows that the clouds there are arranged solely for me, right? After all, they are placed perfectly in that inverted triangle for my benefit and the vanishing point is exactly where I am going, so it's obvious, the world is mine. In fact, every turn of the wheels allows me to "collect" another few square feet of this planet.

Back to reality, this evening, as I was trying to beat the setting sun to our KOA in northern Wisconsin (a.k.a. Lyndard Skynard country) I also tried to beat Freebird. I failed both, the sun by about 25 minutes and Freebird by about 2 minutes, but it was fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

love this lake pic...looks just like the Atlantic

Anonymous said...

I wish that I'd have somehow labeled the rocks we've picked up over the years...
LOVE your comment about the clouds & horizon being all yours.
I'm glad to see that the ladies are having fun too!

Jeanne Schinto said...

Will we have to do a blog in Belize or Scotland? If so, I elect you guys to accomplish that task. Enjoying the words and pix, too. Loved the dog house signage... Christopher: Saw license plate "ME INC" the other day, New Hampshire. Also, just now on my dog walk, "PITBUL4," also New Hampshire. These aren't quite negative but the first one is truly obnoxious.

chrispy and susannah said...

jeanne,
we will absolutely be carrying this blog forward to all of our wanderings; that said, you are clearly guest-hosting during both Belize AND Scotland, and wherever else we can drag you to.
yesterday was all so far north, we were lucky to see another car, much less one that belonged to someone with the extra $30 to go Vanity; I've got my eyes peeled for you. ME INC makes me want to congratulate, not hate - that's just so shitty and perfect!!
keep chatting, this is fun!