Thursday, September 14, 2006

Croppy and The Judge - Peek-a-boo Loop

Today was a little crazy, I'll admit to being excited about this morning's ride and was a bit tossy-turny last night in anticipation! Lo and behold, we woke to the sound of rain; quite lovely on the RV roof, but not what we needed... it slackened and gained, and went back and forth, so we did our thing, put on extra layers and busted out the China Raingear (I think we used them a total of once there)...


Got to the trailhead, and the nice guy's simple answer was "Rain Ride, we're a go!" so we sashayed on up... The group ended up being about 20 people and it had died down to just a drizzle.




The guides rode in with the mules and horses to the corral where we were, and it was just perfect - these guys were all tall and skinny, had huge mustaches, wore chaps and spurs and the whole thing, and were the real deal, or good enough that I felt just right going out with them.




A friendly man, John Henricks it said on his belt, 'interviewed' each person and then gave them a mule's name and sent you into the corral to the other guides, who matched you with your beast. [To be fair, I said we were horseback riding, but we actually rode mules. I'm assured by our guide, Hank, that mules are the cowboy's Cadillac in these parts, and are a smooth ride up and down really rocky terrain - I cannot argue and love mules now!].


Well, we told him we had a little experience, and he liked the fact I said I rode a lot as a kid, so he sent Marge to Croppy, and me to The Judge... I'll let you make of that what you will, but The Judge was dishing out the kind of justice I was needing... It is like riding a bike, and these mules could do this in their sleep - in fact, that's pretty much the danger, if you don't keep them alert and engaged, they just drone out and are much more likely to trip or stumble.

This was the kind of ride you definitely signed a waiver for; I was never scared, but I was thrilled out of my gourd. The Judge was an 'edge lover', most of the mules are trained that way. They go so absurdly close to the edge, I can easily see someone having a freak-out, and a few folks on the tour got close. The guides were totally great, and let you be if you knew what you were doing, which Marge and I did after just a few minutes. The mules could go auto-pilot, but it was worth engaging them and actually leading them. We were on these switchbacks that I wouldn't have wanted to walk, and The Judge was turning on a dime, right on the edges.

Found out from Swanee or Hank, can't remember which, that The Judge was their guide mule for the first 5 years he was here (mules can live to 40!; they are also not onery or cantankerous, I actually quite liked them). That explained why he was frustrated most of the time that the line ahead was moseying, so was I...


Hope you've been enjoying some photos, it was a challenge on muleback getting shots and in focus... It never did rain again, and we were out for a good 3 and 1/2 hours. Mostly it was overcast, but the last 30 minutes it was sunny. Funny enough, we got off around noon, so decided to go to the Lodge for lunch, get in, sit down and it is pouring!!! I mean like trails would be mudslides pouring, like dry gulches would flash flood maybe pouring! We had a great day and great timing.



We also decided that seeing Bryce from the top, down to the bottom of the canyon, and back up on muleback pretty much made the other hiking loops redundant, so we headed to a campsite. We needed to fill water, lose the gray and black water and get some electricity and internet and Marge needs to get some work done. So, we're back at Ruby's, and this time we got a site with hook-ups. I'm also glad I bought an authentic oilskin duster, as it was perfect for setting up camp in the deluge... I'm glad I bought those boots as well, they came in quite handy this morning...






We've also decided to bunk it for today, just get some vittles and hit the hot-tub. And, I have to admit, we broke down and made plans... and pretty nice off the trail plans. Stay tuned, because tomorrow we are headed for
Cibola, City Of Sin, Las Vegas!!!
Judy and Steve, if you're checking in, we'll give you a call tomorrow...







No Fuel, No License Plates, No Song and No Roadkill, because today we rode the trail.

Congrats go out to Sarah Spence, our correct Menomenee Sarah - she is indeed going to recieve a bogus gift prize from Wall Drug. And, yes, Sarah, it is cheating to lasso a dog on a leash, but what can you expect?

And Jeanne, do come back to Bryce, it is amazing and worth the trip!

Enjoy, talk at you tomorrow after Cirque du Soleil LOVE at the Mirage - for real!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we will return, esp. since it's so close to Las Vegas/Steve/Judy!... Mules! Oh, my! Loved the photo. It's a genre shot, updated. Usually, it's a kid on a pony....

Massachusetts vanity plate, just seen in Boston: EPIFINY. I liked it.

Anonymous said...

Yes, we will return, esp. since it's so close to Las Vegas/Steve/Judy!... Mules! Oh, my! Loved the photo. It's a genre shot, updated. Usually, it's a kid on a pony....

Massachusetts vanity plate, just seen in Boston: EPIFINY. I liked it.

Anonymous said...

Yes, we will return, esp. since it's so close to Las Vegas/Steve/Judy!... Mules! Oh, my! Loved the photo. It's a genre shot, updated. Usually, it's a kid on a pony....

Massachusetts vanity plate, just seen in Boston: EPIFINY. I liked it.

Anonymous said...

Yes, we will return, esp. since it's so close to Las Vegas/Steve/Judy!... Mules! Oh, my! Loved the photo. It's a genre shot, updated. Usually, it's a kid on a pony....

Massachusetts vanity plate, just seen in Boston: EPIFINY. I liked it.

Anonymous said...

We're so glad that you made it into Bryce! Thank you for the beautiful pictures. We've been wondering how you like vacationing w/the ladies? Do they just hang out in their crates in the RV while you're out adventuring? We haven't seen much of Missy & Dawn since they we're lassoed...
You really should drive thru Zion on your to LV :)

Anonymous said...

and where did you have all this experience riding as a child...I don't remember that....but you are both looking good in the saddle and the shots are incredible....should have know you would find a way to work in the SHOW in Las Vegas...keep the pics coming...it is great fun

Bob Frishman said...

Yes, Bryce, I remember being astounded at how those rocks ended up like that, almost surreal. Jeanne apologizes for the multiple postings due to late-night reclicks when nothing seemed to happening with clicks one through three..... Memories of Las Vegas (when we were there for the Consumer Electronics Show for Jeanne's San Diego Reader article about audiophiles) include the optical illusion of distances. We thought we had an easy walk to the other hotel site we could see in the apparently near distance but then felt like we were on a stationary treadmill while we marched for about an hour. I guess our East-Coast eyes just aren't trained for those Western vistas. Love to Steve & Judy. Uncle Bob